Nicolay is specialized in employment law. In addition he has competense within privacy protection, EU/EEA law and competition law as well as human rights. He was admitted to Norwegian Supreme Court in 2004 and has written several books and professional articles with main focus on employment law and procedure.
Skarning has been a Deputy Judge in both Larvik and Oslo District Court and has been the leader of the Deputy Judge Group in the Norwegian Lawyers Association. He has long experience from the Confederation of Norwegian Business and Industry (NHO) Legal Department and as secondee at the British Employers' Federation (CBI).
Nicolay assists a number of norwegian and international companies and associations.
In 2015 Nicolay took an Arbitrator Education at the Danish Law Association (Danske Advokater), Copenhagen and at the International Court of Arbitration (ICC), Paris.
Nicolay is elected as Norwegian representative of the Employment Law Alliance, which has chosen employment law experts in all jurisdictions.
"Head of department Nicolay Skarning has an established practice operating on contentious employment matters, in addition to advising on employment transactions, and is admitted to the Supreme Court. He is praised by clients for his "outstanding client service and effectiveness." -Chambers 2018.
Norwegian and English
- Temporary downsizing and severance agreements, Cappelen University Press, 2017
- "Ledende eller særlig uavhengige ansatte" (Leading and Independent Employees as Exception to Working time Rules) (Book, University Press 2016)
- "Mangelfulle arbeidsprestasjoner som oppsigelsesgrunn" (Inadequate working performance efficiency as reason for dismissal), Article in Praktisk Økonomi og Finans nr. 3/2015, Universitetsforlaget
- "Oppsigelse på 1-2-3" ( Termination in 1-2-3) (Hegnar Media 2015) Co-author with colleague and associate Pernille Brusdal
- "Midlertidige ansettelser, innleie og vikarbyrådirektivet" (Temporary employments, hiring and the EU Directive on temporary agency workers), Universitetsforlaget 2013
- "Sykefravær – Nye arbeidsoppgaver, omplassering eller oppsigelse" (Sick leave – New work tasks, relocation or dissmissal with notice), Universitetsforlaget 2011
- "Permitteringer og nedbemanninger i praksis" (Redundancy and Workforce Reductions), Hegnar Media, 2009
- "Nedbemanning og sluttpakker" (Workforce Reductions and Severance Pay), Universitetsforlaget, 2005
- "Kontraktsrett i Norge, Skottland og England" (Contract Law in Norway, Scottland and England), Juristforbundets forlag, 2001
- "Rettsmøtene skritt for skritt" (Court Hearings step by step), Juristforbundets forlag, 1997
Nicolay has also written several articles in different journals.
Legal 500 EMEA
Chambers & Partners Europe
Financial Daily 2017
- 2010 -
- Partner, Kvale
- 2006 - 2009
- Partner, Bull & Co.
- External Examiner, Faculty of law, Oslo
- Secondee, Confederation of British Industry (CBI), London
- 1999 - 2006
- Lawyer, NHO - Confederation of Norwegian Enterprise, Labour Department
- Trainee, Law Firm Brodies, Edinburgh
- 1995 - 1999
- Deputy Judge, Larvik District Court and Oslo City Court
- 1994 - 1995
- Associate, Norway's Export Council, EU Department
- Trainee, European Commission, Brussels
- 1993 -1994
- Adviser, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Legal Department
- 1991 - 1993
- Senior Executive Officer, Ministry of Defence, Legal Department
- Arbitrator Education at the Danish Law Association (Danske Advokater), Copenhagen and at the International Court of Arbitration (ICC), Paris
- Postgraduate Diploma of EU Law, King's College, University of London
- Proficiency in English, Cambridge University
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in political science and criminology, University of Oslo
- Cand.jur., University of Oslo
- EU Law and French Law, Université d'Aix-Marseille III
- American Contract Law, University of North Dakota